I‘m getting adventurous nowadays. Never had much success in making cakes but this is surprisingly, quite easy to make (except for the grating part 🙁 ).. Anyways, here is the most basic and easy recipe I can find for the cake, as well as the cream cheese spread.
- 250ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing (I used clothes clips instead of greasing.)
- 200g castor sugar (I used sugarcane sugar. Use less if you don’t like it too sweet.)
- 3 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 300g carrots, coarsely grated (I used 250g carrots and 50g courgette)
- 25g softened butter
- 300g half-fat cream cheese
- 15g unrefined icing sugar
- Zest of 1 orange or 1 lemon or 2 limes
|Prep time||30 mins|
|Cook time||40 mins|
|Total time||70 mins|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20x28cm baking tray and clip de outer sides with clothes clips to hold the baking paper in place.
- Pour oil into a deep bowl. Add sugar and whisk. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking after each egg.
- Sift flour into mix, then carefully fold in, without overstirring. Fold grated carrots (and courgette) into mixture, then pour into tin and spread evenly. Remove clothes clips.
- Bake in oven for 40 mins, till well risen and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put butter and cream cheese, into a bowl. Mix till soft. Sift in icing sugar, then add half the orange zest and mix.
- Remove cake from tin, spread over the icing and sprinkle with remaining zest. Cut into 12 squares and serve.
I cheated a little. 😛 I couldn’t get any plain cream cheese at our local supermarket, so I bought a small pack of cream cheese with pineapple bits. Most carrot cake recipes put in very little grated carrots but I think what I had was good enough and I added in some grated courgettes coz I think carrots and courgettes go well together. The cake tastes pretty good, altho a tad too sweet for me.. Would I make it again? Yes, I think I will.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: