I went to meet up with Gerald for dimsum and some grocery shopping in Chinatown, Amsterdam recently. While we were browsing the aisles, Gerald spotted some fresh green bamboo shoots in a package. He was very interested to buy some but there were too many in the package. So he gave me some, to be exact, I took 3 sticks.. 🙂
With some advice from my sister, I made this with 2 of them..
- 2 fresh bamboo shoots
- 6 medium-sized fresh white mushrooms, quartered
- 50g pork or chicken fillet, cubed into 1x1cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Marinate meat in 1 tbsp oyster sauce, half of the light soy sauce, pepper and cornflour for 15 mins.
- Peel all the green from the bamboo shoots and discard, leaving only the white part. Slice each bamboo shoot thinly, and a little horizontally.
- Heat a wok at high heat, add in 2 tbsp vegetable oil and marinated meat, quickly stirfry for 5 mins or till meat’s light brown and almost cooked.
- Add in garlic and mushrooms, stirfry for 2 mins.
- Add in bamboo shoots, then the rest of oyster sauce and light soy sauce. Mix completely with the rest of ingredients in wok. Sitrfry a further 3 mins.
- Add in some water, just enough to cover the ingredients in wok. When it boils, turn heat to medium-low heat and let all simmer gently for 5-8 mins and water has reduced and thickened.
- Serve directly with rice. It’s enough to serve 2 persons.
Can’t really taste the difference between fresh bamboo shoots and the ones in packages or tins..
Rate this post if you like: