It seems that I’m into Vietnamese-style cooking nowadays too.. As long as it’s anything that has a hint of spiciness in it, I’ll surely try it.. Or adapt according to the ingredients that I’ve got in my fridge/freezer/pantry but keeping the main and important ingredients intact. So here it is – Braised Chicken Vietnamese-style a.k.a. Ga Kho Gung. I hope I’ve got it correct.. 🙂
- 700g chicken thighs, deboned and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- a dash of ground pepper
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp ShiaoXing rice wine
- some spring onions, as garnish (I used chives from my garden)
- Marinate chicken with garlic, fish sauce, salt and pepper for at least 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat and caramelise sugar.
- Once sugar has melted, add in marinated chicken and cook till a light golden brown.
- Add in ginger, shallots and chillies, stirring and mixing them into chicken quickly, abt 2 mins.
- Add in rice wine and lower heat to allows chicken to simmer for abt 8-10 mins or till sauce is reduced.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice and garnish with spring onions.
Rate this post if you like: