A friend of mine, Desperate Housewife in Holland was hosting a BBQ Potluck combined with a “Pau-Chong (Wrapping Chinese Dumplings)” Workshop by another friend, Lannie last weekend. My contribution was to bring 2 kinds of chicken for the BBQ and stirfried rice vermicelli.
We’ve never BBQ-ed at home and I got a little panicky. But.. I was very thankful to this age of modern technology coz I could go surfing the net searching my favourite foodbloggers for ideas and came up with 2 different marinades. This is one of them..
Photo courtesy of Lianne
Adapted from Proceed with Caution
- 1.5kg chicken winggettes and drummets, trimmed (Original recipe: 12 chicken drumsticks)
- 8 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp 5-spice powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 large tbsp light soy sauce
Put all marinade ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Close bag and shake gently to mix ingredients. Add in chicken to the marinate in bag and toss to combine. Leave in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or better overnight.
Put all marinade ingredients in a large glass bowl with a cover. Use a spoon, mix all to combine. Add in chicken to the marinate in bowl and gently stir to combine marinade and chicken. Leave in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or better overnight.
If using a BBQ:
- Prepare BBQ paraphernalia.
- Take out chicken from fridge and leave to come to room temperature.
- Once BBQ coals are ready, spread marinated chicken wings and drummets on BBQ and leave to cook for 10 mins, turning it once over.
- Serve immediately with some sweet chilli sauce.
If using Oven:
- Prehat oven to 220C and take out chicken from fridge and leave to come to room temperature.
- For easy cleaning, layer a flat baking tray with aluminium foil. Spread marinated chicken wings and drummets on top of the foil and grill in oven till cooked, abt 20 mins.
I left my marinating chiken wings and drummets in the fridge for 2 days. The smell when BBQ-ing them was heavenly and they were really yummy.. This marinade’s highly recommended.
I saved the leftover marinate sauce and added it to another BBQ marinade – recipe will come soon.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: