The 2nd marinated chicken I prepared for the BBQ Potluck cum “Pau Chang” workshop last Saturday were BBQ Sweet Spicy Chicken Thighs. I like chicken thighs coz the meat is succulent and tender after cooking and they have only 1 big bone in the middle. The skin was left on so that it becomes nice and crispy after being BBQ-ed.
Photo courtesy of Lianne
- 1kg chicken thighs, skin and bone left on
- 2 stalks lemongrass, only white part, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup (I used Heinz)
- 5 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (I used Kimball’s)
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or light soy sauce
- leftover marinade sauce from BBQ Hoisin Chicken Wings
Put all marinade ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Close bag and shake gently to mix ingredients. Add in chicken to the marinate in bag and toss to combine. Leave in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or better overnight.
Put all marinade ingredients in a large glass bowl with a tight cover. Use a spoon, mix all to combine. Add in chicken to the marinate in bowl and gently stir to combine marinade and chicken. Leave in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or better overnight.
If using a BBQ:
- Prepare BBQ paraphernalia.
- Take out chicken from fridge and leave to come to room temperature.
- Once BBQ coals are ready, spread marinated chicken on BBQ and leave to cook for at least 15-20 mins, turning it over occasionally. Poke with a skewer in the thickest middle and if it comes out easily, then it’s cooked.
- Serve immediately with some sweet chilli sauce.
If using Oven:
- Prehat oven to 220C and take out chicken from fridge and leave to come to room temperature.
- For easy cleaning, layer a flat baking tray with aluminium foil. Spread marinated chicken on top of the foil and grill in oven till cooked, abt 45 mins.
I left my marinating chicken thighs in the fridge for 2 days. This marinade’s ok but the marinade for the BBQ Hoisin Chicken Wings much better.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: