Padang is a town in Indonesia and Padang-style cooking’s considered fiery hot. Dunster’s always willing to try out new recipes with me. Luckily for me, he has a great liking for anything spicy, meaty and soupy and Gulai Cincang‘s that. We do like it very much..
Serves 4-6; Preparation Time: 30 mins; Cooking time: 30 mins
- 3 tbsp oil
- 5-6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 8cm cinnamon stick
- 250 g lamb ribs, cut into lengths (I used pork ribs)
- 750g boneless lamb, cut into pieces (I used shoulder pork)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 slices asam gelugor (dried garcinia fruit), soaked in warm water till soften or 4 tbsp tamarind juice
- 1 liter thin coconut milk
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamon pods, split open to obtain seeds
- 4 candlenuts, crushed
- 8-10 red chillies, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cm ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cm turmeric, peeled and sliced
- 2 1/2 cm galangal root, peeled and sliced
To make Spice Paste:
- Dry-fry coriander seeds, peppercorns, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, cardamon seeds and candlenuts in a wok or skillet over low heat till fragrant, 5-10 mins.
- Remove and grind to a powder in a mortar or spice grinder. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Grind all other ingredients for Spice Paste to a smooth paste in a mortar or blender, adding some coconut milk (I used oil coz oil doesn’t splatter so much when added to a wok with oil) to keep paste turning, if necessary.
- Remove and combine with ground spice in bowl and mix til well blended. Set aside.
To make Curry or Gulai:
- Heat oil in a large deep wok over medium heat and stir-fry shallots and cinnamon till golden brown, 1-2 mins.
- Add spice paste and stir-fry till fragrant, 3-5 mins.
- Add lamb, salt, asam slices and thin coconut milk, mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10-15 mins, stirring constantly till lamb is tender and curry is thickened.
- Add thick coconut milk and bring curry to a boil, then simmer for 2 more mins before removing from heat.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and green vegetables.
Rate this post if you like: