- 5 tbsp oil
- 120g shallots, roughly chopped
- 100g garlic
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 500g meat (beef), sliced thinly
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 1 pc pandanus leave, folded into a knot
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 30g tamarind paste, mixed with 10ml water and strained
- some fried sliced shallots for garnishing
- Pound or blend shallots and garlic till fine.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry blended shallot-garlic paste and chilli powder.
- Add beef and fry till meat is half-cooked.
- Add cinnamon stick, pandanus leave, salt, sugar and tamarind juice.
- Cook on low heat for abt 15 mins or till mixture is almost dry and beef’s cooked.
- Serve with fried shallots, steamed white rice and some greens.
It’s quite easy to prepare and surprisingly good. No wonder it was 1 of Tunku’s favs. Wrote the recipe down within a couple of mins when browsing thru therecipe book at Lianne’s home – what we can do when we have the willpower to just sit down and write a simple recipe in a small piece of paper.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: