There were 4 large overripe bananas sitting around, “crying” to be eaten. Didn’t want to make banana cake but had an urge to have some Malaysian Kuih Kodok or Cekodok (Banana Fritters). And then Dunster made a request for something similar but not a cake please. So I asked a few friends if they know of a simple recipe to make Cekodok. Tasha, a friend, responded..
So, here’s my recipe adapted from Tasha’s recipe for Kuih Kodok or Cekodok (Banana Fritters)..
- 4-5 large very very ripe bananas
- 1 cup flour *
- 1/2 tsp baking powder *
- 1 tbsp sugar
- abt 1 cup water
- enough vegetable oil for deepfrying
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cook time||20 mins|
|Total time||30 mins|
* can be replaced with 1 cup self-raising flour
- Peel and roughly mash bananas in a large bowl. Add flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add water gradually till banana-flour mixture’s slightly runny.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a large shallow pan or wok. When oil starts to bubble and smoke, lower heat.
- Then using an icecream scoop, scoop ½-¾ full and carefully lower mixture to hot oil. Don’t overcrowd pot or wok.
- Let cekodok cook on 1 side for abt 2 mins and then turn over to other side and let cook for another 2 mins. Let cekodok cook for at least 5 mins without burning the outer layer.
- Scoop out cekodok onto a kitchen paper topped large plate to drain oil away. Continue cooking till all mixture’s finished.
- Eat while still warm.
If wished, cekodok can be served with some sugar syrup..
Dunster was happy – we had it together with some rice and meat dish.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: