I‘ve been looking for quite some time for a savoury bread recipe which doesn’t need any kind of kneading at all and I found it at last. This Ham & Cheese Bread Loaf‘s really easy to prepare/make. Just need some time and patience.. 🙂
Adapted from Baking Bites.com. This is what Baking Bites said and I agree with her:
“The bread is moist, tender and slightly sweet. It has a fluffy crumb that makes the bread quite filling – even if it weren’t packed with cheese and ham, both of which are nicely contrasted with the sweetness of the bread. An egg wash is applied just before baking to give the top of the loaf a beautiful golden finish and a soft crust.”
- 1½ tbsp (or approx. 5oz) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (low fat’s fine) (est. 500ml)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 4½ – 5 cups all purpose flour (I used 4 cups)
- 1 cup swiss cheese, in 1cm cubes (est. 200g)
- 1 cup diced ham (est. 300g)
- 1 large egg, for egg wash
|Makes||1 large or|
|2 small loaves|
|Prep time||±30 mins|
|Cook time||±3 hrs|
|Total time||±3.5 hrs|
- Lightly grease a 8ïnch x8inch baking pan or a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish (I used 2 5x7cm loaf pans) with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm milk. Stir and let stand for abt 5 mins, or until slightly foamy.
- Stir in salt, melted butter and 4 cups flour. Add remaining flour gradually until dough is sticky and smooth, but no longer liquidy. No streaks of flour should remain. Stir in cheese and ham and scrape dough into prepared pan. (I divided my dough into 2 smaller baking pan.)
- Let rise for 1 hour. Lightly beat egg with a fork in a small bowl and brush on top of loaf.
- Preheat oven to 180C abt 10-15 mins before baking.
- Bake for abt 45 mins, until top becomes golden brown or when a skewer or toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
We ate some with dutch pea soup (erwtensoep) as dinner and gave a few big pieces to a neighbour and friend. It was too much for 2 persons to finish in 1 day. So, the rest we had frozen for another day.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: