- 1 whole chicken (abt 1.5kg), cut into serving portions or 1 kg chicken pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- oil for deep-frying
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (abt 2cm)
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- 60ml coconut cream (I replaced with 60ml water)
- 3 tsp concentrated tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
Ingredients for Spice Paste:
- 10-15 dried red chillies, sliced and soaked in hot water to soften
- 8 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
|Prep time||40 mins|
|Cook time||±20 mins|
|Total time||±60 mins|
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towel and put into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and turmeric and toss to mix well. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Put all ingredients for spice paste into a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a deep wok till very hot. Deepfry or shallowfry chicken pieces, a few at a time, till golden brown and crisp, abt 4-5mins. Drain chicken on paper towels. Reserve 2 tbsp oil from wok and pour out rest of oil.
- Reheat remaining oil in a wok or deep pan and stirfry spice paste, star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick over medium-low heat for abt 4mins.
- Add coconut milk, coconut cream (or water), tomato paste, salt and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken pieces and simmer another 5 mins.
- Taste and add more sugar and salt, if desired.
- Serve hot with plain rice or yellow rice.
This is really yummy.. I had the leftover sauce with some bread and coffee.. Very satisfied..
Rate this post if you like: