Dunster requested for a complete Dutch dinner one day. He wanted homemade Boerenkoolstamppot met Rookworst, Jus en Piccalilli (Curly Kale Mash with Dutch cooked smoked Sausage, Gravy and Piccalilli). This is Boerenkoolstamppot made my way..:-)
- 1kg floury potatoes
- 600g finely cut (or 1kg uncut) boerenkool or curly kale or curly andivie
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 (a 250g each) cooked smoked sausages (preferably Dutch)
- 2 onions, peeled, finely sliced
- 250g spek or bacon, finely cubed
- 50ml warm milk
- readymade gravy mix
- store-bought picalili, optional
|Prep time||20 mins|
|Cook time||±40 mins|
|Total time||±60 mins|
- Peel, quarter and wash potatoes. Put in a large deep pot and cover with water just to the top of potatoes. Sprinkle salt all over. Put curly kale on top of potatoes, cover and cook on low-medium heat for abt 10 mins.
- Remove sausages from packaging and put on top of kale. Cover and cook for another 15 mins.
- Preheat oven at 100C.
- Heat a little bit of oil in another pan on medium heat. Add bacon and cook for abt 5 mins till golden and crispy. Add onions and cook for another 5 mins till onions are soft and translucent. Remove and leave in oven to keep warm.
- At the same time, prepare gravy and once done, leave in oven to keep warm.
- Remove sausages from pot and keep warm in oven.
- Prick potatoes to check if potatoes are totally cooked and soft. Drain water from pot of potatoes and kale.
- Stamp potatoes and kale till potatoes are finely mashed. Add warm milk little by little till mash is slightly creamy looking. (At this point, some would add a little vinegar or dijon mustard and butter but since we’ve picalili, I didn’t.)
- Keep warm on low heat and add, stirring to mix well, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve mash with bacon-onion on top, then some gravy over them, ½ a sausage on top with some picalili on the side.
It wasn’t too difficult to make; satisfying and actually, quite yummy.. Another positive and happy approval from Dunster, who had eaten a large portion for 2 persons..
Rate this post if you like: