Harvested all our leeks and carrots today, just before the frost comes visiting. Made a potful of Creamy Leek & Potato Soup. It’s extremely nice for a cold grey evening; delish and bellywarming.. 🙂
- 50g butter or liquid cooking butter or vegetable oil
- 2 large leeks, halved lengthwise, finely chopped, thoroughly washed and drained
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
- 150g potatoes, peeled, finely cubed or chopped
- abt 900ml vegetable stock (or pork or chicken stock)
- salt & pepper to taste
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cook time||45 mins|
|Total time||55 mins|
- Heat 25g butter or oil in a large sauce pan or pot.
- Add leeks and onions. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for abt 7 mins, till softened but not browned.
- Add potatoes to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 mins.
- Add stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover pan and simmer gently for 30-35 mins, till vegetables are very tender.
- Adjust seasoning, remove from heat and stir in butter (if using, in small pcs).
- Using a masher or hand blender, mash or blend soup mixture to the consistency wished. Mine’s abt 90% mashed coz we like to have bits or lumps of vegetables still evident in our soup. Or alternatively, leave vegetables chunky.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or as we did, with Cheese & Bacon Biscuits.
Rate this post if you like: