Mixed Spice‘s used in many English festive cake baking recipes. I’ve been ambitious and wanted to try to recreate a real boozy English fruit cake which we tried when we visited my sister in Newcastle-upon-Tyne a few years ago. The fruit cake we bought were chockful of fruits, boozy, rich – just delish and since then, we’re unable to find any that matches the delish factor of it..
We can’t get English Mixed Spice here (or maybe we can, but I can’t find it), so I asked on FB and checked on websites. There are quite a number of different versions but I took the one sourced by my cousin from BBC GoodFood.
So, my English Mixed Spice from BBC GoodFood..
It took some time to compile the spices, in English (in Dutch) but this is it..
- 1 tbsp ground allspice (gemalen piment)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (gemalen kaneel)
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg (gemalen nootmuskaat)
- 2 tsp ground mace (gemalen foelie)
- 1 tsp ground cloves (gemalen kruidnagel)
- 1 tsp ground coriander (gemalen koriander)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (gemalen gember)
- Combine all ingredients in a container with lid and shake to mix well.
- Store in a cool dry place and it will keep for some time.
Ooohh, wow, it smells so heavenly and I’m sure it’ll just pep up my fruitcake taste..
I used it for the 1st time in Spiced Fruit Cake which I’ll post a bit later on..
Rate this post if you like: