Braised Chicken, Lentils & Chicory‘s adapted from 1 of the “A Week of Meals for 2” recipes published in the December 2012 issue of delicious.uk magazine recently. An interesting taste; I guess it’s not for everyone but it’s great, different and bellywarming on a cold evening.. 🙂
This is my recipe, totally..
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 6 small shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 3 chicory, quartered lengthwise, washed and dripdried
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 250g yellow and green lentils, washed, removing all unwanted
- 1 litre warm chicken or vegetable broth or bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- a pinch of sugar, some seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven 160C or fan 140C. Soak lentil in water till required.
- Heat oil on a oven-safe casserole or dutch pot over high heat.
- Add shallots and chicory and cook, stirring occasionally till beginning to turn golden brown, abt 5 mins.
- Add chicken and cook for another 3 mins.
- Drain lentils. Then add fennel seeds, mustard, lentils, stock, bay leaves and a pinch of sugar. Stir and let it come to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and put into oven to braise for 45-50 mins till almost dried and lentils are soft.
- Remove casserole from oven. Give it a stir, season and give it another stir.
- Sprinkle some dill or fennel fronds and some paprika powder and serve with crusty bread.
Nice and easy to prepare.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: