Tooltip TextThis simple Balti Chicken has a lovely delicate flavour, and is probably the most popular of all Balti dishes. All meat, inclusive chicken, cooked on bones are usually very tender and very flavoursome. So chicken thigh on bones are used and since it’s cooked on the slowcooker (with or without 1st frying onions and aromatics) has also made it easy and relaxing and great for a busy day ahead..
- 1-1½ kg chicken thighs on the bone (or 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pcs)
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 2½ cm cinnamon stick
- 2 large black cardamom pods
- 4 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp black cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp natural (plain) yogurt
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 fresh green chillies, chopped
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cook time||6-8 hrs|
|Total time||6-8 hrs|
- Skin, wash and trim chicken pcs. Mix well with yogurt and set aside
- Put onions and tomatoes into slowcooker.
- Then add in cinnamon stick, cardamoms, peppercorns, cumin seeds, garlic, garam masala, chilli powder and salt. Stir well with onions and tomatoes. (If wished, fry onions in 3 tbsp vegetable oil till translucent, then add tomatoes and aromatics and seasoning and fry for 3-5 mins before putting into slowcooker.)
- Arrange chicken pcs loosely but in a layer in slowcooker.
- Set it to low cook and let it slowcook for 6-8 hrs.
- Just before serving, add in lemon juice, coriander and green chillies, stir well and serve immediately with naan bread, vegetable pilau or just plain rice with some fresh sliced cucumbers and tomatoes..
Leftovers keep well in the freezer for another busy day to defrost and reheated..
Rate this post if you like: