Spicy Green Lentil Soup or Spicy Green Dhal Curry – it can be seen as either. It can be served with bread or rice or as an accompaniment to a meat and salad meal. We had ours with roti paratha, chicken curry, eggs and vegetables.. 🙂
- 200g green lentils, washed several times, then soaked in cold water overnite
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp dried chillies flakes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 litres water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
|Cook time||40 mins|
- Heat oil in a large pot. Put in onion, garlic, mustard seeds and stir to mix. When mustard seeds start to pop, add cumin and coriander powders. Stir to mix again, let it cook till onion’s translucent.
- Then add in lentils, potatoes, carrot and curry powder and stir to mix evenly once again.
- After a few minutes, add in water. Simmer on low heat with a lid half open for 30 mins or so, till lentils are soft, potatoes and carrot are cooked, but not broken up. (If it get dry, add a little water.)
- Then add in tomatoes and chilli flakes (to taste, less if wished). Let it cook a further 5 mins.
- Serve immediately, with some paprika powder, chopped coriander and lemon wedges on the side with some bread or as a side dish to roti or rice with a meat (e.g. curry) and vegetable dish.
Rate this post if you like: