Stirfried Chicken with Dried Chillies is inspired by what a girlfriend of mine, Lannie cooked several days ago. My recipe’s adapted from her version but it’s definitely not Kung Po Chicken.. It’s deliciously spicy, slightly sweet and salty – lovely..
- 500g chicken thigh fillet, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp salt and a dash of pepper, or to taste
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp Hsiao Xing (Chinese) rice wine or dry sherry
- 10-12 dried chillies, depending on spiciness
- 3 large shallots or 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dark sweet soy sauce (or thick caramel sauce)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Halve dried chillies with seeds removed, then soak in warm water for 10-15 mins. Dry with kitchen paper and put aside.
- Marinate chicken with salt, pepper, egg white and Hsiao Xing rice wine for at least 15 mins.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium fire.
- Add in dried chillies and stirfry for abt 3-5 mins, till fragrant.
- Add in garlic and chicken, and stirfry for abt another 5 mins.
- Then add in dark sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce and sugar. Stirfry to evenly mix with chicken.
- Pour in water and let it simmer on low heat for another 8-10 mins till water evaporates.
- Serve immediately with rice and a vegetable stirfry.
Really delish; a little too spicy coz I had 16 dried chillies in it but luckily, the spinach with fishballs and rice countered off the spiciness.. yummmss..
Rate this post if you like: