Fava beans or Lima Beans or Tuinbonen (in Dutch) – It’s really delicious except that there’s a lot of preparation work before we can cook or eat it. All that popping pods out and peeling the outer skin.. Well, I love beans or peas, so I take all the work in stride..
Eggs and onions are my basic fast easy and comfort food, especially when time’s tight or when something simple’s the best I can think of..
- 6 eggs
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 50 g fava or lima beans (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- Break eggs into a bowl. Add light soy sauce and a dash of ground pepper and lightly whisk or beat eggs with a fork. Set aside.
- Half onion and slice finely. Set aside.
- If using fresh, pod beans and peel skin from pods. Then boil in water for a couple of mins n drain. If using frozen, defrost and peel skin from pods. Set aside.
- Put a wok on medium heat and add 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Put in onion and stirfry occasionally for abt 5 mins or till fragrant, transparent and soft.
- Add in fava or lima beans and fry for another 2-3 mins. Add in salt. Give it another few quick stirs.
- Spread beans-onion mixture in wok and slowly pour in beaten eggs to spread on and around.
- Let it set without stirring for 2 mins and then slowly stir beans-eggs mixture till it’s mostly cooked but still soft.
- Serve immediately with rice and tomato ketchup..
Or like me, with white porridge or congee and some cubed spam.. 😛
One of my favourite comfort food..
Rate this post if you like: