Baked Whole Trout in Garlic-Asian Sauce was served as a “Ëast meets West” meal. Trout baked in an oven with asian marinade and served with some choisum (asian greens) and baked potatoes.. 🙂
- 4 medium-sized whole rainbow trouts, preferably fresh or otherwise, frozen and defrosted
- a generous handful fresh coriander, chopped – optional
- lemon wedges or slices – optional
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 long red chili, deseeded and finely chopped OR 2 tsp Thai chili sauce
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cook time||±40 mins|
|Total time||±50 mins|
- Preheat oven to fan 190C.
- Stir all sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare 4 pcs of alu foil large enough to fold very loosely around each fish.
- Place fish on a cutting board and score it by making vertical cuts an inch or more apart along length of fish from head to tail. Turn fish over and do same on other side. Repeat for all fish.
- Fold short sides up slightly, then place each fish on a pc of alu foil each and spoon sauce generously over each fish, covering both sides and into cuts made as well as into underside cavity.
- Bring long sides of foil up and over fish, scrunching it together and try to keep foil off surface of fish, making a kind of shallow tent over it. Leave either ends slightly open. Repeat till all fish are wrapped up.
- Bake fish for abt 30 mins. Remove fish from oven and check the thicker part of fish with a toothpick to see if fish’s cooked (toothpick should prick fish easily and come out cleanly). If fish still needs more time, return to oven for another 8-10 mins, or till cooked and nicely browned and crisp-looking (like barbecue fish).
- Remove fish from oven and serve with some coriander and lemon wedges or slices on the side, if wished.
It’s also great served with white rice and steamed vegetables or baked or cooked potatoes and fresh salad.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: