Our homegrown leeks are doing very well this year and at this time, many of them are lovely thick and solid. Decided to harvest 4 of them; gave 2 to our neighbours and made Braised Leeks with Chicken & Carrots with the other 2..
- 2 large leeks, abt 500g of white and some light green parts only
- 100g baby carrots, sliced in rounds
- 250g chicken fillet (thigh), sliced
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- a dash of ground pepper
- salt, to taste
- Marinate chicken with oyster sauce, garlic, cornflour, sesame oil, pepper and salt for at least 10 mins.
- Slice leeks into thick rings, wash thoroughly in several changes of water, drain and put aside.
- Heat a wok or pan on medium heat and add marinated chicken. Stirfry chicken till cooked, abt 10 mins.
- Add in carrots and leeks with 100ml water. Stir to mix evenly and lower heat to low.
- Let it come to the boil and let it simmer for abt 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once leeks and carrots are cooked but still retain some crunch and water’s evaporated, remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with some white rice..
We love leeks and we keep on adding more leeks to our little veggie patch each year. Leeks also freeze well, so we do that to tide us over some part of the wintertime.
Homegrown leeks are always sweeter, more delish..
Rate this post if you like: