Our tomato plants (4 different kinds) have been growing and producing extremely well, I guess due to a very lovely warm sunny summer we have this year. We have harvested, eaten and made tomatoes in various ways. This is a very basic pasta sauce recipe which can be made with any kind of ripe tomatoes. Mine’s made with yellow snack tomatoes. 🙂
- 2 kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- big handful basil leaves with stalks
- salt & pepper to taste
|Prep time||20 mins|
|Cook time||±55 mins|
|Total time||±75 mins|
- Peel and chop onion finely. Put aside.
- Chop basil leaves and stalks finely. Put aside.
- Wash, dry, core all tomatoes. Put in a blender and blend till fine (including skin & seeds). Leave aside.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Then add onions and fry till translucent, abt 10 mins.
- Pour in blended tomato mixture and stir to mix with onion. Let it all come to the boil and let it all simmer on low heat for abt 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once tomato mixture has reduced and thickened, add in basil and salt & pepper, to taste. Stir to mix evenly and remove from heat.
- For a smoother texture, blend with a stick blender but be careful, it’ll be very hot!
- Can be frozen for another time. Just defrost fully in fridge 1st before further use.
- This is a very basic recipe, so this means that anything can be added to enhance or give it more texture, e.g. mozzarella & smoked salmon, mince and leeks (like we had), as it is.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: