Potatoes in Red Sauce‘s a lightly spiced and slightly sweet dish, perfect for children or those who like mild curries.
- 450g small new potatoes
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp thick tamarind juice
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 curry leaves
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp granulated sugar (I used ¾ tsp sugarcane sugar)
- coriander leaves – to garnish
- Boil potatoes till fully cooked but still retain their shape. To test, insert a think sharp knife into potatoes and it should come out clean when potatoes are fully cooked. Drain well and set aside. (I used pre-packed cooked halved potatoes.)
- Grind coriander and cumin seeds, then add garlic and grind to a coarse paste using a mortar and pestle or food processor.
- Heat oil in a karahi, wok or frying pan.
- Fry paste, tamarind juice, tomato paste, curry leaves, sugar and salt, to taste till oil separates, abt 10-12 mins.
- Add potatoes and stir to coat them well with sauce. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for abt 5 mins.
- Garnish and serve immediately.
Rate this post if you like: