It’s that time of the year again for some warm braising homely food again. I first saw a recipe for Chicken Rendang by Tasty Cooking called “Fish & Chicken Dishes”. I’ve never seen a rendang recipe with so few ingredients and it looked like an easy recipe. I decided to try it out – it has been heavily adapted to have a more creamy sauce and potatoes were added. Nevertheless, I’m very pleased – it had turned out to be a delish outcome..
- 4 chicken thighs, excess fat & skin trimmed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, leg ends removed, excess fat & skin trimmed
- 1 lemongrass, white part only, slightly smashed
- 3 pandanus leaves, cut into 4 each
- 3 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 200 ml thick or cream coconut milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
Ingredients to be ground into Paste:
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 15 dried chillies, soaked in warm water for 15 mins to soften
- 2 large red tomatoes, cut into chunks
|Prep time||15 mins|
|Cook time||45 mins|
|Total time||60 mins|
- Heat oil in a large deep pan on medium fire.
- Put in lemongrass, pandanus leaves and sliced onion. Fry till fragrant and golden, abt 5 mins.
- Add in chicken. Stir in to mix and cook for abt 5 mins.
- Then add in blended paste and stir again to mix well with chicken for another 10-15 mins, depending on how wet the paste is. The raw smell of chillies and onions must be gone; cooked away and the paste will slowly turn into a darker shade.(it was abt 15 mins for mine.)
- Add in potatoes. Then pour in coconut milk and let it continue to simmer, stirring often to prevent sauce from sticking to pan bottom, till gravy reduces and thickens (it was abt 15 mins for mine).
- Add salt, to taste (it was abt 1.5 tsp) and give it a few more stirs. Serve immediately with rice or noodles or bread with some vegetables stirfry or salad greens.
We had our Creamy Chicken & Potato Rendang with some home-baked No-Knead Crusty Dutch Corn or Maize Bread – lovely, delish..
Rate this post if you like: