Chinese New Year’s approaching; and it’s time to make some Chinese Meat Jerky (Bak-Kwa) again. This time, I’ve decided to make some Bak-Kwa cookies as well; the recipe of which a girlfriend of mine found last year. These cookies are sweet, salty, crispy and chewy at the same time. 🙂
Recipe adapted from Bak Kwa Cookies by Cosy Bites
- 225g unsalted butter
- 100g granulated white sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 245g all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 130g bak-kwa (Chinese Meat Jerky (Bak-Kwa)
|Prep time||90 mins|
|Cook time||15 mins|
|Total time||±105 mins|
- Cut bak-kwa into small pcs and blend bak-kwa in a food processor till tiny pcs.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and long-yuk, then stir and mix into sugar mixture.
- Divide dough into a few portions. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove dough from plastic wrap and cut into small pieces or shaped of 1cm thick.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, with some space between cookies. Bake for abt 15 mins, or till lightly brown at edges.
- Remove cookies from baking tray to cool on wire racks. Then store in airtight containers.
I made some Spicy Bak-Kwa and Honey Bak-Kwa which were cut into cute bites; the off-cuts were then made into these cookies.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: