A good girlfriend of mine gave us some dried Top Shells and I was just thinking so hard how I could use it. My mama has a basic soupbase recipe that she adapts to the type of “special occasion” ingredients she has at hand – yes, “special occasion” ingredients means the “a little expensive” and “luxurious” kind.. 🙂
I had no idea how I should prepare it. But Braised Top Shell & Chicken Soup recipe will be the updated and amended one after my 1st try at making this soup which was actually too salty coz: (1) I didn’t soak the top shells overnite to remove the saltiness and (2) I forgot to taste-test it before serving.. 😕
- 2 pcs of whole dried Top Shells
- 4 pcs of chicken thighs with bones on, skin removed and fat trimmed
- 1.5 litre water
- 10 pcs goji berries (kei-chi)
- 10 pcs whole black peppercorns
- salt, to taste
|Prep time||10 mins|
|Cook time||90 mins|
- Prepare top shells by soaking them in warm water; changing water a few times. Then leave to soak in final cooled water overnite.
- Make soupbase by cooking chicken thighs in water. Once water’s boiling, cook at low heat for at least 30 mins. Skim off scum and fats.
- Put in soaked whole top shells and whole peppercorns. Continue to cook at a low simmer for at least 45 mins, or till top shells are totally soft and re-hydrated.
- Add in goji berries and cook soup for a further 5 mins.
- Remove chicken from soup and shred meat.
- Remove top shells from soup and slice thinly.
- Taste test soupbase for saltiness. If too salty add more water, if bland, add some salt, to taste.
- Return sliced top shells and shredded chicken to heat up.
- Serve immediately.
Rate this post if you like: