Donal Skehan’s Blueberry & Lemon Squares uses the all-in-one method, making it easy to follow and super-quick to make. All ingredients are put into the bowl at the same time and mixed together to form a smooth batter. Simple, fragrant and taste good too! 🙂
Cuts into 24 squares; Takes 15 mins to make; 35 mins to Cook
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g golden caster sugar (I used 210g)
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g softened butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- grated zest of 3 lemons, plus extra
- 250g blueberries
- 6-8 tbsp lemon juice
- 200g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a straight-sided 30x25cm traybake with baking paper.
- Put dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the middle, then add eggs butter, milk and lemon zest. Beat with an electric hand mixer till smooth and combined, then stir in berries.
- Pour batter into prepared tin, then bake on middle oven shelf for 35 mins or till risen and golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix lemon juice into icing sugar, a little at a time, till a smooth spreadable icing. Drizzle over sponge, then scatter with extra lemon zest and leave to set for 1 hr. Cut into 24 squares.
This is a really easy recipe to adapt; half the recipe and replace lemon for lime or blueberry with other soft fruits and it would still turn out good.. A for-keeps emergency, quick to go to recipe for me.. Only thing was that my icing didn’t work – still very good tho.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: