Braised Pork Belly with Onions is a recipe from a supermarket folder and I was curious enough to make it and see if supermarket recipes are as good and easy to prepare as it said. Yes, it was both good and easy.
Serves 4; Preparation & Cooking Time: ±40 mins
- 4 pcs (±500g) pork belly, skin removed
- 3 large red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp honey
- 100ml water
- 2 sprigs thyme
- seasoning, to taste
To serve with:
- 200g couscous
- 350ml hot stock
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cucumber, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- a bunch of chives or parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a deep-pan and brown pork belly on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- In same pan, put in onions and fry for abt 4 mins, till translucent but not browned.
Add in pork belly, honey, water and thyme and stir well to mix.
- Lower heat and simmer with cover on pan for abt 20-25 mins till water has evaporated.
- 5 mins before braised pork’s ready, prepare couscous.
- Put couscous in a large bowl and add in hot stock. Mix well and cover bowl with clingfilm. Put aside so couscous could steam and cook.
- When water in couscous has evaporated, remove clingfilm and leave for a min.
- Then add in lemon juice, cucumber, tomatoes, chives or parsley and seasoning, if needed, to taste.
- Check braising pork, serve when water has evaporated.
- Remove thyme and serve immediately with couscous.
Rate this post if you like: