Adapted recipe from “Slow Cooker” – Flame Tree Publishing
Serves 4; Preparation time overnite+30 mins; Cooking time 4 hrs
- 700 g chicken thigh fillet (I used skinless and de-boned)
- 50 ml chicken stock (I used plain water)
- 1 onion, peeled, halved and sliced
Jerk sauce ingredients: blend together till smooth
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 50 g light muscavado sugar (I used sugarcane sugar)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2-4 Scotch bonnet chillies, deseeded (I used 4 red bird’s eye chillies – overly spicy; please reduce to 2)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- 8 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 175 ml long grain or basmati rice
- 1 red and yellow pepper (or capsicum) each, deseeded
- 125 g green beans, trimmed
- Freshly chopped coriander
- Place chicken in a shallow container and spread sauce paste to cover chicken thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate in fridge till required.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken from fridge and allow to return to room temperature.
- Spread sliced onion onto base of slow cooker casserole pot and pour in stock (or water).
- Place chicken in a layer over sliced onion, pour and spread remaining marinade over chicken and cover dish with lid.
- Switch slow cooker to low and cook for a further 4 hours.
- Switch cooker off (or keep warm till ready to serve) and serve.
Just before serving or 30 mins before serving, slice peppers and cut beans into short lengths.
If using saucepan:
- Place rice in saucepan and cover with twice the volume of water.
- Cook for 8 mins, then add beans.
- Continue to cook for another for 5 mins, or till rice and beans are tender.
- Drain, the stir in peppers and serve with chicken.
If using rice cooker:
- Place rice in rice cooker and cover with 1½ time the volume of water (or according to instructions).
- Add peppers and beans on top of rice but submerged in water. Do not stir rice and vegetables!
- Cover and leave to cook. Once ready, leave to keep warm for a few mins.
Allspice Mix Ingredients: (keep in airtight container)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- A large pinch of nutmeg
Rate this post if you like: