Wanted to try my hands at baking cakes/cookies/etc. ever since we renovated our kitchen and installed a really nice oven 5 years ago. Tried 3 times and failed to make a good banana cake, the ready-mix kind!!
Got this brownies recipe from a foodblog that I haunt. It’s a good one and will definitely keep to make again and again. I was sceptical at how easy it was to prepare it but the brownies turned out great, delicious – soft and gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside. 🙂
Recipe directly copied from A Series of Kitchen Experiments
I used what I had at home and it is highlighted in italics and in brackets.
* 150g unsalted butter (I used margarine)
* 250g sugar (I used sugarcane sugar)
* 80g cocoa powder (I used van Houten)
* a pinch of salt
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 eggs, at room temperature
* 75g plain flour
* 50g Appleton Estate Rum, optional (recommended but forgot to add)
* 75g chopped nuts eg walnut, pecan, almonds, etc, optional (I put 35g pecan)
Preheat oven to 160C. Grease pie plate/brownie pan/etc. with some butter and dust with flour. (I lined a rectangular tin pan with baking paper.) Set aside until ready to use.
- Melt butter in saucepan (I microwaved my margarine for 1 min, mix, microwave another 2 mins) and stir in sugar. It’s okay if all crystals aren’t dissolved, we just wanna have sugar covered in butter.
- Add in cocoa powder and mix til no lumps are left.
- Add in eggs, vanilla extract and salt to batter and mix thoroughly.
- Gently fold in flour til it is incorporated into batter but do not overmix. Don’t disturb the gluten too much.
- Add in nuts and rum.
- Pour batter into baking tin and spread evenly. Bake for 50mins. If using smaller baking tin and want a taller brownie, increase baking time and test every 10mins with a skewer, until skewer comes out clean.
I was informed by a friend that Jamie Oliver’s brownie recipe’s really good and simple to make.. Shall try it out one day but just in case, here the website: Jamie Oliver’s Blooming Brilliant Brownies
Rate this post if you like: