I‘ve cooked it several times using 2 variations of chicken but kept on forgetting to take photos. Well, it’s an interesting and delicious slow cook dish. It also freezes well for that 1 day that you’re in a hurry and didn’t have time to cook. 🙂
Recipe adapted from 500 Casseroles by Rebecca Baugniet.
Quoted from it: This is 1 of those classic recipes where the flavour improves if it is left to sit for a day. It’s perfect for making on the weekend and pulling out on a busy weekday night. Serve with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
- 2 tsp salt (I used 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 5 chicken thigh drumsticks (cut and separated into 5 thighs and 5 drumsticks) OR 500g chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (400g) can whole tomatoes with liquid
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup (125ml) dry red wine (I omitted this)
- 1 cup (250ml) low-sodium chicken broth (Instead of wine, I used 350ml broth)
- 1 capsicum (red or green or yellow), cut into stripes **
- 150g mushrooms, quartered – optional (I added this to the basic recipe)
** can be replaced by other vegetables like aubergine or courgette
- In a small bowl, combine salt, basil, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Use half the spice mixture and rub into chicken well.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken until golden on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sautee onions until soft and translucent, about 4 mins. Add mushrooms (if using) for another 4 mins. Add garlic and vegetables (capsicum or aubergine or courgette). Continue cooking till vegetables are tender, about 5 mins.
- Add remaining spice mixture and stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine (if using) and broth. Sitr til tomato paste is well incorporated.
- Bring to a boil, return chicken to pan and reduce heat. Simmer til sauce thickens and chicken is cooked thoroughly, about 30 mins.
Note: I prefer to use chicken with bones (thigh and drumstick) with this slow-cooking dish coz I think cooking meat with bones gives the food more flavour.
Rate this post if you like: