Cake baking’s never been a success for me but I wanted to give it another try. Banana cake or muffins are on my list of stuff to do. I love Nigel Slater’s recipes, watching all his Simple Dinners on BBC and this is one of his recipes – Black Banana Cake. I downloaded this recipe a year ago and especially since trying Sha (a friend of mine)’s and getting a recipe from my sister, I wanted to make it even more. I’ve got 3 very ripe bananas sitting on the worktop in the kitchen and now’s a good time to use them.. 🙂
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175 sugar (half light muscovado, half golden caster) (I used 160g sugarcane sugar)
- 75g hazelnuts (didn’t have so much in stock, so used 75g mixed hazelnuts, brazilnuts & walnuts)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 175 self-raising flour
- 250g or 2 large very ripe bananas, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- drop vanilla extract
- 175g good quaity dark or milk chocolate chips
- a little extra sugarcane sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line base and sides of a 20cmx12cm loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Beat butter and sugars till light and and coffee-coloured, which is best achieved in a food mixer.
- Toast hazelnuts, rub them in a tea towel to remove their skins, then grind quite finely.
- Slowly add eggs to butter and sugar mixture, then mix in toasted ground hazelnuts and self-raising flour.
- Gently fold vanilla extract, chopped bananas and chocolate chips into cake mixture, turning gently and taking care not to overmix.
- Scoop cake batter into prepared loaf tin. Dust with a little demerara sugar. Bake for between 60-70 mins, covering cake with foil if top starts to darken too quickly.
- Once ready, remove cake from oven and let it cool totally before cutting cake into slices.
I do like it.. It tastes great and I was at last successful in baking a cake.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like:
wow wow .. that really is a very dark banana cake. Is this the one that tasted like the ones back home Chai Leng?
Lianne, it’s dark coz it’s got dark chocolate chips n i added some cacao powder coz I didn’t have enough chocolate chips.. 🙂 I like it, altho i still like sha’s version more – which I’m going to try making next.. 🙂
Yes, I remembered you mentioning about Sha´s one and I thought this is it. Was puzzled when I saw angmoh ingredient in it hehe … alright, I am waiting for `that`one coz I miss eating that very very much! Thanks for sharing btw 🙂