Clear soup or broth is a favourite of mine and is often found as a main in our dinner menu. There are many ways to make clear soups or broths. If I can get fresh and cheap cuts of meat or fish bones or have dried anchovies (which is brought from Malaysia), then I make soups from scratch.. Otherwise, I use instant soup stock or granules/cubes.
So, this is a Quick Spinach with Egg Clear Soup or Broth with homegrown spinach in Anchovies Stock – it’s a favourite of mine..
- abt 350g spinach or chard
- 2 eggs
- 1 stock cube (preferably, anchovies or fish)
- 600ml hot boiling water
- a dash of pepper
- Shred roughly and clean spinach or chard thoroughly free of grit or soil.
- Put a deep pot with hot boiling water on medium-high heat and add in stock and dissolve stock well in water.
- When water comes back to boiling point, add in spinach, give soup and spinach a gentle stir so that spinach is completely submerged in water.
- When water comes back to boiling point again, let it boil hard for abt 3 minutes.
You can either:
- crack in eggs carefully and keep eggs separately, put on potlid, take pot away from heat and let it sit for 2 minutes before serving; or
- scoop spinach and soup into a soup bowl immediately and crack an egg into middle of soup, then let it sit in hot soup for abt 3-4 mins so that egg can cook a little in hot soup.
- Serve with steamed white rice and a dash of pepper.
I make this quite regularly.. Dunster’s not so crazy about soups but he enjoys it nevertheless.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: