We had Hainanese Chicken Rice one evening. It was made easy by using PrimaTaste’s Hainanese Chicken Rice Ready-to-Cook Sauce Kit. It was by chance that I’d 1st just tried their Chicken Rice Premix. I found that it was pretty decent and when I found the whole kit for making a whole meal from it, I bought it without haste. I was really happy when I found this kit.. 😛
Ingredients in the Kit:
- Hainanese Chicken Premix,
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrant Oil,
- Sesame Soya Sauce Oil,
- Chilli Sauce,
- Ginger Sauce and
- Dark Soya Sauce.
Ingredients to Add:
- 1.5 kg whole chicken, skin and bone on (I used chicken thighs)
- 2.5l water (I used 2.2l)
- 500g rice
- sliced cucumber and/or tomatoes, optional, to serve with
- soft bean curd or shredded lettuce coriander leaves or chopped spring onions, optional, for soup
Preparation for Chicken and Stock:
- Fill stock pot with water and add Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix. Bring to boil on high heat.
- Gentry lower chicken (with its back facing up) into stock and ensure that chicken is totally covered with stock. Once it comes to a boil again, lower heat and simmer gently for 30 mins.
- Remove chicken from stock and chill in ice water for 15 mins. Drain well.
- Set aside chicken and stock.
Preparation for Rice:
- Wash rice and drain well. Mix rice and Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil in rice cooker.
- Add 610ml chicken stock and mix well.
- Cook in rice cooker. Stir it gently after 5 mins and continue cooking.
- When cooked, fluff rice gently with chopsticks or a fork (while loosening rice, avoid scraping bottom of rice cooker).
- Cover rice cooker and set at “Keep Warm” setting for 10-15 mins.
- Without opening, place Sesame Soya Sauce Oil packet in a pot of boiling water for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat, open packet and pour into a condiment bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
- Chop whole chicken into parts. Arrange on a platter, over a bed of sliced cucumber or tomatoes. Pour Sesame Soya Sauce Oil over chicken. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm rice in individual bowls or plates. (I served ours on a plate with a bowl of chicken soup separately.)
- In separate condiment bowls, serve Chilli Sauce, Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce and Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce as dips.
- For tender juicy chicken, buy chicken pullet. May also substitute whole chicken with chicken legs or breasts. Cooking time mayvary with different chicken parts.
- Thai long grain rice is recommended.
Primataste is a Singaporean brand which I found was quite good and authentic. It was easy to prepare and almost all the ingredients are already in the Kit. Would I nake it again? Yes, I would..
Rate this post if you like: