The ingredients’ list has been on my To-Cook Board for more than a year before I got the courage to try cooking it. The reason was that I wasn’t sure if I’ll like oxtails. But I went hunting for some oxtails – it wasn’t easy to find, I should say. Oxtails aren’t so popular; it’s also quite expensive, considering that they’re emostly just bones and sinew with very very little meat. Anyways, I was determine to try it now, so I bought a bottle of marmalade and an orange after finding the oxtails. And I made Marmalade Oxtail..
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Classics – Slow Cooking
Preparation time: abt 20 mins (+ overnite marinating)
Cooking time: 4.5 hrs
- 1 oxtail of abt 1.5kg
- 150 g marmalade
- 100 sherry (I used XiaoShing Chinese wine)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large potatoes, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 2 large carrots, in slices
- 1 onion, slice into thin rings
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into parts
- Cut oxtails into pieces, remove as much fat and sinew as possible. Mix them with marmalade and sherry in a large bowl. Cover and keep in fridge overnite.
- Heat oil in a large pan or wok on high heat and sear marinated meat in portions till golden brown, abt 4 mins per side. Put aside.
- Put potatoes, carrots, onion, bayleaves and cinnamon stick in slow cooker. (I used my water-based slow cooker.) Put oxtail pieces on top of them.
- Start the cooker on high and the meat would be cooked in abt 4 hours.
- Add seasonings to taste. Divide the orange parts on top of the oxtail and serve with some mashed potatoes. (We had it with some fried potatoes.)
The orange and marmalade made it special but I still found the taste of oxtail meat too pungent, too “strong” for my taste.. Luckily, I made only half the portion. Dunster likes it, tho; so instead of disposing of the leftovers, i deboned the meat and he´ll have the leftovers tomorrow.. So.. no wastage.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: