Kheema Aloo, an Indian-style spicy minced lamb dish with potatoes is gently flavoured with cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Minced lamb may be replaced with minced chicken or pork, if liked.
Recipe from “30-minute Indian” by Sunil Vijayakar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 375 g minced lamb
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 200 g potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 100 ml hot water
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- boiled rice or bread, to serve
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted – optional
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok and when hot, add cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Fry for 1 min, then add onions and fry, stirring, for 3-4 mins.
- Add mince to pan with garam masala, chilli powder, garlic, ginger and salt. Stir well to break up mince and fry for 5-7 mins.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and hot water, cover and simmer gently for 5 mins or so or till potatoes are tender (add more water, if necessary).
- I added abt 100 g frozen green peas as I didn’t have enough mince.
- Stir in coriander and serve hot with boiled rice or bread.
It tastes really good, satisfying.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: