Bought some cleaned frozen baby squids coz it’s been a long time since we’d squids and I missed it a whole lot. So, after searching thru all my Asian cookbooks, I’ve decided to make Malay-Nyonya style Fried Squid with Chilli. 🙂
Recipe from “Truly Nyonya Malacca” by Jackie Liew
- 300g baby squids
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 170g coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
Spice Ingredients: to be blended into paste
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 10 dried chillies
- 5 red chillies, halved lengthwise, remove seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 candlenuts, mashed
- 1 stalk lemongrass, only de white part, shredded
- Clean squids, remove head, ink bag and soft bone. Rub dry. Cut into rings of 1 cm thickness. Marinate squids with some sugar and salt.
- Heat up cooking oil in a pot. Add in blended spices and lower to medium heat. Fry till oil emerges, abt 5 mins. Add in coconut milk a little at a time while frying spices but reserve some for later.
- Add in squids and seasoning. Continue to fry for abt 2 mins.
- Pour in remaining coconut milk and cook till gravy thickens, abt 8-10 mins.
- Serve immediately.
It’s another quick to prepare and cook dish; spicy as well.. Really delish..
Rate this post if you like: