Asian Chilli Jam is from Lorraine Pascale’s new series, Home Cooking Made Easy showing on BBC1 every Tuesday (which started on 26 Sep 2011) for several weeks. It looked really easy with ingredients that I’ve got at home and in my pantry. The tomatoes and chillies are from my own vegetable patch.. 🙂
- 450g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 finely chopped chillies (I used 4 hot red chillies)
- 1cm finely grated ginger
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 250g granulated sugar (I used sugarcane sugar)
- 60g balsamic vinegar
- some salt n pepper
- Blitz or blend all ingredients together till finely chopped.
- Then pour mixture into a pan, boiling it for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, till it thickens and becomes syrupy.
- When the time’s up, take pan off heat and leave jam to cool in pan for 20 mins.
- After that, pour jam into sterilised jar (see point 3 here) using a sterilised jug (I just spoon jam carefully from pan into jar without touching rim) and leave it to cool slightly.
- When it’s cool, close lid, label and date before storing. If pot is open, then store in fridge.
The Chilli Jam is a sweet and savoury jam – adding more chillies and slightly less sugar would be perfect. It can be eaten as a condiment or accompaniment to anything or used as a sandwich spread (which I did with ham and bread – delish), really.. I think it would be good with some chips or fried battered fish or chicken too.. 🙂
Dunster was really sceptical when I told him I made Chilli Jam and I told him that it would go very well with our Asian Stirfried Pasta. So before I can add it to his dinner, he needed to try a little 1st and yes, he did like it. 😀
Rate this post if you like: