I was immensely happy when I was finally able to buy fresh whole fish from our local village supermarket recently. The village supermarket has changed ownership after more than 10 years since I lived in this village and the new owners have made some good improvements, like bringing in more organic food, having more fresh meat, fish, vegetables and breads, of which many are pleased and happy about.. 🙂
- 2 cleaned fresh medium-sized whole rainbow trouts (or forel in Dutch)
- 2 limes, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Sprinkle some salt and grated ginger inside each trouts.
- Arrange sliced limes in 2 rows on a big pc of aluminium foil on a baking tray and place cleaned trouts on top of lime pcs.
- Splash some sesame seed oil, season with salt (to taste) and put little dollops of grated ginger on top of trouts.
- Arrange tomatoes under and around trouts. Fold aluminium foil slightly up around trouts, so that eventually juice from them doesn’t leek out.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 mins till just cooked. To test if fish’s cooked, poke a toothpick into de thickest fleshy part, if toothpick comes out cleanly, it’s cooked. Otherwise, put fish back into oven and cook a further 10 mins.Remember: Don’t overcook fish – it’ll become dry and flaky..
- Serve immediately with steamed pandan or basmati rice.
Dolf and I had a trout each. It’s easy cooking whole trouts and eating them coz there’s only the minimum amount of bones in the centre and at the fins.. Yummy.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: