Recipe from Malaysian by Betty Saw
- 1.5kg whole chicken, cut into bite-sized pcs
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 250ml coconut cream
- 375ml coconut milk
- 1-2 limes, juice only
Ingredients to be ground into Paste:
- 15 red chillies, roughly chopped
- 15 shallots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2.5cm knob fresh turmeric, peeled, roughly chopped
- 10 candlenuts
- 5 x 2.5cm pc belacan (dried prawn paste)
- 4 stalks lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
|Prep time||±40 mins|
|Cook time||±45 mins|
|Total time||±85 mins|
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan on medium high.
- Lightly brown onions with salt.
- Add ground ingredients and fry constantly till fragrant, abt 8-10 mins. Add a little coconut cream to prevent ingredients from sticking to wok or pan, if necessary.
- Add chicken and fry for a few mins.
- Then add coconut milk and cover over low heat till chicken’s tender, abt 12-15 mins.
- Add remaining coconut cream and aloow liquid to return to boil.
- Add lime juice.
- Serve hot with plain rice or roti jala or roti paratha or bread.
If I remember correctly, the curry’s a deeper colour – dark red to almost brown.. maybe I’ve added too much turmeric and coconut cream or I didn’t fry the paste long enough.. Gotta try it again.. It’s good; spicy and goes really well with rice.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: