A couple of friends, Ka-Man and Chi came for dinner. Well, they can’t take spicy food but are willing to experiment/try. I made a Mild Chicken Curry for them. 🙂
Recipe from “Malaysian Favourites” by Periplus Mini Cookbooks
- 1 whole chicken (abt 1.5kg) cut into serving portions or 1kg chicken pieces
- 3 tbsp chicken or meat curry powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 60ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 50g freshly grated coconut, toasted in a dry pan till brown, processed till oil comes out
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (abt 3cm)
- 750ml thin coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (soaked in water to prevent browning)
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
|Prep time||40 mins|
|Cook time||±80 mins|
|Total time||±120 mins|
- Mix curry powder with water to make a paste and set aside.
- Blend shallots, garlic and ginger to a smooth paste, adding a little oil if necessary to keep mixture turning.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan and stirfry blended ingredients over medium-low heat, abt 4-6mins.
- Add curry paste, stirfrying abt 2-4 mins.
- Then add chicken, grated coconut, star anise, cloves and cinnamon, stirfrying abt 2-4 mins.
- Add thin coconut milk, salt and potatoes and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, till chicken and potatoes are cooked, abt 25-30mins, adding a little water if sauce begins to dry.
- Add tomatoes, simmer abt 4-5mins.
- Serve warm with rice.
Note: 1 added 1 fresh red chilli to be blended together with shallots, garlic and ginger.. 🙂
The curry was just nice; not spicy but full of flavour. It had a full thumbs up.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: