Am not creative enough to come up with an attractive name so Fish & Aubergine in Spices it is.. It’s a self-created recipe using some very commonly used Indian spices with a Chinese twist.. If you tried it and liked it, please let me know.. 🙂
- 300g white fish fillet, cut into chunks
- 200g aubergine, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 a medium onion, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red paprika or capsicum, cut into small cubes
- 1 heaped tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 heaped tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 150ml water
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar (I used sugarcane sugar)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- a dash of pepper
- Marinate fish with turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt for abt 10 mins. Then shallow-fry fish till partly cooked. Remove and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add in brown mustard seeds, cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli flakes and garlic powder. Stir slowly till mustard seeds start to pop and mixture’s fragrant.
- Add onion and capsicum, stirfry till onion’s transparent, abt 5 mins.
- Add aubergine, stirring occasionally, abt 5 mins.
- Then add light soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well with vegetables. Add water.
- Let it simmer for abt 5 more mins, then add fish. Stir into vegetable mixture and let it continue simmering for another 5 mins till fish’s cooked and water’s almost evaporated.
- Serve immediately.
We had it with Nasi Goreng Kecap (Fried Rice with Sweet Soy Sauce) and a dollop or 2 sambal belacan.. It was a good combi, very satisfied with the outcome..
It can be made into a vegetarian dish by replacing fish with semi-hard tofu.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: