- 350g peeled and sliced potatoes
- 1 large handful small dried anchovies, cleaned & soaked in water for a few mins, then drained and dried
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- salt, to taste (I used abt 2 tsp)
- sugar, to taste (I used abt 1.5 tsp)
Ingredients to be Blended into a Paste:
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 slices galangal
- 1 tsp dried shrimp paste (roasted belacan)
- 15 dried chillies, deseeded, chopped, soaked into hot water to softened, drained
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat some vegetable oil on medium fire.
- Shallow-fry potatoes till golden brown and cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Then fry dried anchovies, stirring constantly, till golden. Remove and set aside.
- Leaving 1 tbsp or so oil in the wok or pan, fry blended ingredients and chilli paste till fragrant, abt 5 mins.
- Add tamarind juice, salt and sugar (or to taste). Cook on low heat till thick and fragrant, abt 5-8 mins.
- Add sliced onions and cook, stirring, till onions are cooked.
- Add potatoes, anchovies and fried shallots, mix thoroughly and let it cook for abt 5 mins.
- Taste and if ok, it’s ready to be served.
I thought it was going to be a little too sour but it turned out ok.. Quite delish, actually and am happy about the results of my experiment.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: