Something different, something really lemony, simple to prepare, 1 pot meal..
Recipe adapted from GoodFood UK February 2012
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ small red and yellow capsicum or bell pepper mix, deseeded, and sliced
- 50g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red chilli, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 250g long grain rice (I used fragrant pandan rice), washed and drained
- 200 raw peeled large prawns, defrosted if frozen
- 100g frozen green peas, defrosted if frozen
- 100ml hot water
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve if wishes
- Heat oil in wok or deep pan on high heat.
- Add onion, peppers, chorizo, garlic and chillies, stirfry for abt 3 mins.
- Add turmeric, rice, salt and pepper to taste, stirring to coat rice completely. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a rice cooker.
- Add prawns, rice, lemon zest and juice and hot water, stir to mix all. Then cover and cook.
- When it’s cooked, give it a quick stir and cover immediately.
- Let it sit for abt 5-8 mins before serving or keep warm in rice cooker till ready to serve.
- Serve with extra lemon wedges on the side.
Using a non-stick rice cooker makes it much easier coz it doesn’t need constant checking that the rice mixture doesn’t burn or stick to bottom of pan. Also not much water is needed. It can be kept warm in rice cooker till everyone’s ready to eat..
Go to BBC GoodFood website for alternative cooking or preparation method.
We enjoyed it; it was good but I would use less lemon juice to make it coz it’s too lemony for my taste..
Rate this post if you like: