Cucumber & Carrot Pickle (Acar Timun)‘s to satisfy Dunster’s request and appetite for Malaysian pickles. Altho it needs at least a day to pickle, I’m all for easy and quick recipes as most pickles take a long time in preparing de raw ingredients. 😛
Recipe from “Nonya Favourites” by Periplus Mini Cookbooks
- 300g cucumbers
- 1 tsp salt for cucumbers
- 100g carrots
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 thin slices ginger, julienned
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
- Halve cucumbers lengthwise, leaving skin on and remove soft core. Cut into 3.5cm juliennes.
- Mix 1 tsp salt into cucumbers, set aside for 15 mins. Then squeeze to extract as much juice as possible.
- Cut carrots into 3.5cm juliennes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or wok and sautee ginger and mustard seeds till mustard seeds pop.
- Stir in turmeric and chilli powders, then add in cucumbers, carrots, sugar and salt and sautee for a further 2 mins. Take care not to overcook. Turn off heat, add vinegar and mix well.
- Cook in pan or wok, then bottle pickle. Serve only after pickling overnite.
Pretty delish, actually.. 😛
Rate this post if you like: