Sotong Kicap Manis is a little sweet, sour and spicy – a heavenly combination of ingredients. It’s a healthy and quick meal to prepare after a busy day.. 🙂
- abt 460g fresh or frozen baby squids, halved (or fresh large prawns, shelled and deveined)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large onion, quartered and finely sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3-6 Thai bird’s eye chilies, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp (or ¼ cup) Indonesian kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Toss squids with turmeric powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat
- Add onion and fry till translucent, abt 3-5 mins. Then add chillies and garlic, continue frying for another 2-3 mins.
- Then add in squids and fry for abt 3 mins, followed by tamarind juice and kecap manis immediately after. Stir to mix evenly.
- Let mixture come to the boil and cook for another 5 mins.
- Season with salt (to taste), remove from heat and serve immediately.
Delish with sliced cucumbers or tomatoes and steamed white rice.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: