Strawberry Balsamic Bacon Cheese Tart‘s a sweet savoury and slightly vinegary tart. It might sound a little bit strange but it might be love at 1st try. The smell permeating the kitchen and the surrounding area was just heavenly.. 🙂
Recipe adapted from Annie Eats. She made a 12-14″ pizza..
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup good quality strawberry jam or preserves
- 1 tsp. sriracha chili sauce
- 6 frozen puff pastry of 10x10cm, defrosted
- olive oil, for brushing edges
- 1 cup shredded or diced cooked chicken or cooked ham
- 4 slices smoked bacon, diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 114g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 57g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- abt ½ cup hulled strawberries, diced into 1cm cubes
- Put balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer; let it cook for 4-5 mins or till reduced by abt half with a thick, syrupy texture.
- In a small bowl, combine balsamic reduction with strawberry jam and sriracha chili sauce. Stir to mix well and set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C.
- Put a piece of pastry slightly on top on another pastry. Press on edges to seal both pastry pieces together. Do the same for the other 4 pieces of pastry. Put the elongated pastry pieces on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly cut abt 1cm from the edges of the pastry – don’t cut all the way thru – and lightly brush edges with olive oil.
- Spread balsamic-strawberry mixture in a thin layer over pastry, inside the edges. Layer with chicken or ham, bacon, onion, cheeses, parsley and strawberries.
- Bake in oven till cheese is melted and bubbling and pastry is lightly browned, abt 15-18 mins.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with some salad.
update: 10 April 2013
This is my girlfriend, Kit’s interpretation. Kit made it with round puff pastry and without out parsley. Beautiful, isnt it? 🙂
Kit has also tried it without Mixed Berries jam which she said was also yummy.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: