Babi Chin‘s a Nyonya-style dish. Made it once some time ago but didn’t have any nice photos. Since it was something tasty and goes really well with either white rice or bread, I made it again.. 🙂
Recipe from “Nonya Favourites” by Mini Periplus Cookbooks
- 600g cubed pork belly or 1 kg boneless shoulder of pork, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp oil
- 100g sliced shallots or red onions
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 4 star anise
- 8 large dried shiitake mushrooms, softened for at least 10 mins in hot water
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 litre water
- some diced red chillies & coriander, to garnish
- To cut pork belly into neat cubes, lay it flat on a large plate and leave it in the freezer for 30 mins to harden. Remove from freezer and cut into 3cm cubes. If using shoulder of pork, rinse meat well and cut into chunks.
- Heat oil in large saucepan and brown shallots and garlic till fragrant.
- Add coriander and star anise, and cook for 1 min.
- Squeeze excess water from mushrooms and add to pan with pork, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and water.
- Bring to the boil, then lower or reduce heat and simmer for abt 1.5 to 2 hrs till meat is tender and sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Set aside for several hours at room temperature to allow flavours to develop.
- Reheat and serve with plain white rice or crusty french bread. Garnish with diced red chilli, if desired.
A home comforting meal, is this.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: