Slow cooking’s a wonderful way to prepare dinner without much to do except prepare the ingredients ahead and putting all into the slow cooker. Then go on to do other things, like gardening, grocery shopping, etc. At the end of the day, the fantastic smell encountered as you enter or move around the house makes you hungry and glad that you can begin immediately.. 🙂
Recipe adapted from “Slow Cooker” by Murdoch Books
- 1.5kg chicken, cut into large pcs, unnecessary fats removed (I used chicken thighs with skin & bone on)
- 4 slices bacon, without fat, in small pcs (I used 100g smoked bacon pcs)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 400g chopped tomatoes in tin
- 300g small mushrooms, halved
- 250ml milk (I used semi-skimmed) – use cream to make casserole creamier
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped lemon thyme
- Put chicken, bacon, onions, garlic and tomatoes in slowcooker.
- Set cooker op high and chicken is almost cooked in abt 3 hrs.
- Add in mushrooms and milk or cream (for the creamier version) and reheat for another 30 mins.
- Remove cooker lid and let sauce cook a further 30 mins to thicken sauce.
- Stir in parsley and thyme.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and french green beans.
Well, it was good; but we had too much sauce.. So next time, if milk’s used, then just 200ml’s enough, I think..
We had it with some steamd rice and steamed asparagus and carrots.. A good alternative to potatoes and green beans, we think.. We do like it a lot.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: