There was some leftover pork belly from the piece I had used for making Hakka Mui Choi Kau Yok. I thought the leftover would make some lovely cha siu to go with some wantan noodles. My cha siu was made on the stove, not baked in the oven; a quick and easy way and using palm sugar (gula melaka) and light soy sauce as the main seasoning.. 🙂
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 450g pork belly
- 3 tbsp light soysauce
- 40g gula melaka/palm sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 350ml water
- Heat up oil in a wok and sauté chopped garlic til aromatic, abt 1 min.
- Add pork belly and mix well with garlic.
- Add seasoning ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cook till sauce becomes a thick caramel. ( This process will take around 30 mins. Make sure gravy is really thick, maybe abt 3 tbsps left in wok).
- Remove from heat and leave to cool. Then slice and serve.
I would prepare char siu this way again. Simple ingredients, simple cooking method – totally no fuss. And it tastes good too.. 🙂
Cha-Siu with sui-kau, chinese cabbage and thick wantan noodles..
Rate this post if you like: