Mixed Spice‘s used in many English festive cake baking recipes. I’ve been ambitious and wanted to try to recreate a real boozy English fruit cake which we tried when we visited my sister in Newcastle-upon-Tyne a few years ago. The fruit cake we bought were chockful of fruits, boozy, rich – just delish and since then, we’re unable to find any that matches the delish factor of it..
We can’t get English Mixed Spice here (or maybe we can, but I can’t find it), so I asked on FB and checked on websites. There are quite a number of different versions but I took the one sourced by my cousin from BBC GoodFood.
So, my English Mixed Spice from BBC GoodFood.. 🙂
It took some time to compile the spices, in English (in Dutch) but this is it..
- 1 tbsp ground allspice (gemalen piment)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (gemalen kaneel)
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg (gemalen nootmuskaat)
- 2 tsp ground mace (gemalen foelie)
- 1 tsp ground cloves (gemalen kruidnagel)
- 1 tsp ground coriander (gemalen koriander)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (gemalen gember)
- Combine all ingredients in a container with lid and shake to mix well.
- Store in a cool dry place and it will keep for some time.
Ooohh, wow, it smells so heavenly and I’m sure it’ll just pep up my fruitcake taste..
I used it for the 1st time in Spiced Fruit Cake which I’ll post a bit later on..
Rate this post if you like: